Library from Ontario
JOHNSTOWN – With about five weeks to go in the estimated time it’ll take to transfer remaining turbine components from storage at Port of Johnstown to installation site in North Stormont, manufacturer Enercon has apologized in advance for any inconvenience to local motorists.
The majority of the North Stormont council voted in favour of receiving a report from its chief administrative officer (CAO) on Tuesday and in doing so, opted out of adopting a fire suppression bylaw for the Nation Rise Wind Farm project— for now.
To North Stormont Council, Staff and residents I am deeply concerned about information that is vital to the safety and health of North Stormont citizens.
The government of Ontario has known there are serious health issues experienced in industrial wind projects.
In order to oppose the continuation of the project, Mekker, along with other residents, sent a Notice of Non-Consent to the Government of Ontario’s attorney general, premier, and Yurek, outlining they did not consent to the project. A similar notice had been sent in 2019. Mekker said her opposition to the project was based on a multitude of factors, including long-term health issues she said windmills create for residents living near them. In addition, she said the cluster of wind turbines being erected exposes North Stormont residents to infrasound, low-frequency noise, vibration, and shadow flicker.
My well water issues have not resolved themselves, Mr. Mayor. Rather they have become increasingly worse. It’s very clear you’re using the COVID-19 as a way to push the wind farm agenda through, while looking the other way on the damage already caused by its construction in the area I live. My stress level, frustration, the lack of support you promised, ...lack of water to shower, cook, clean, needing to buy all my water to drink and cook with, as per the Ottawa Health department’s multiple test results I’ve had done through the government is crazy.
The majority of council — 4-1, voted against a motion presented by Coun. Roxane Villeneuve during a May 27 council meeting that would have labeled the township as an unwilling host of the project. Council has, twice before, approved a resolution indicating it was not willing to host a wind farm project.
Most North Stormont council members have apparently had their fill of tilting at wind turbines, rejecting a motion from Councillor Roxane Villeneuve last week calling for the township to remain opposed to the recently resurrected Nation Rise Wind Farm, as well as any other similar projects in the future.
The demise of White Pines is a vivid symbol of Ontario’s emerging energy policy, which turned hostile to renewable sources of power after Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives were elected in 2018. Mr. Ford has blamed “these terrible, terrible wind turbines” for soaring electricity prices, and said he’d rid the province of every single one if he could. ...The government’s abandonment of renewables stems partly from the high costs Ontario paid to become an early adopter under the Liberals, who passed the Green Energy Act in 2009.
In a ruling released Wednesday, May 13 an Ontario Superior Court panel of judges says the province’s decision to scrap the Nation Rise project did not meet the proper requirements.
The cost of tending to the already built pieces of the cancelled Nation Rise Wind Farm amounts to $100,000 a week, an Ontario Supreme Court hearing learned on Friday.
This important study from Canada shows the degree of impact on human health for those living within 550 meters of an operational wind turbine. The abstract and conclusions of the report are provided below. The full report can be accessed by selecting the document links on this page.
Ontario’s auditor general says she will examine the costs associated with the cancellation of an eastern Ontario wind farm, as the opposition New Democrats call for a special investigation of a move they say could cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.
TORONTO — The Ontario NDP believes there is blood in the water after the cancellation of the Nation Rise Wind Farm, and it could become the Ford Government’s version of the gas plant scandal that scarred the former Liberal government.
After concluding its turbines would harm local bat populations, Environment Minister Jeff Yurek revoked the Nation Rise Wind Farm’s permit on Dec. 4. That was just three months before they were to begin generating electricity: 16 of the planned 29 turbines were fully or partially built.
EDP Renewables Canada Inc. is the company responsible for building the wind farms and according to a release from the company the decision comes as a surprise and the company is assessing all avenues of legal action.
The provincial government has withdrawn the renewable energy approval authorizing the creation of the Nation Rise Wind Farm. The withdrawal of the approval means the project will come to a halt, despite the fact the wind farm is largely complete, with several wind turbines erected and ready to begin generating power. ...Environment Minister Jeff Yurek said he decided to revoke Nation Rise’s renewable energy approval out of concern for the wind farm’s impact on local bat populations.
The P.E.I. Energy Corporation wants to add seven new turbines to the 10 currently in place, which would double the electricity output of the farm. The turbines would be larger than the current ones, and that's something that worries the group. "These are going to be phenomenal in size. It's going to be probably the largest game changer in this area of Prince Edward Island," said Fred Cheverie, watershed coordinator with the group.
Jon Clifford, operations manager for WPD Canada — the company that oversees the operations of the Sumac Ridge turbine project near Pontypool — says he suspects replacement of the wind turbine blade that failed last spring will happen the first week of November.
Nation Rise Wind Farm received its “Renewable Energy Approval” on May 4, 2018, a Friday. The following Wednesday, May 9, the election writ was dropped and on June 7, the Liberals and their Green Energy ways were gone. In July, the Ford government cancelled 758 early-stage renewable energy projects. But not Nation Rise. Described as too far along in its milestones, it went ahead and today there are service roads being built, massive concrete bases being poured and the blades and hubs are being stockpiled for installation.