Uedem (NW) Germany - A fire was sparked during maintenance work in a nacelle of a wind turbine in Uedem (Kleve) on Thursday. It's believed that an electrical arc sparked a fire in the unit. A total of three technicians were able to escape but two were injured in the accident, one of them seriously.
The accident occurred at about 11 clock in the morning. An electric arc jumped over and caused the machine housing to catch fire. One of the three present technicians sustained severe burns. Together, they managed to get to safety before the nacelle was completely engulfed in flames.
Firefighting efforts were not possible for the volunteer firefighters in Uedem and Hau. They locked the wind turbine from a radius of 500 meters. A specialist company was able to separate the system from the mains. The rescue service treated the three workers. A 43-year-old engineer had inhaled smoke, the 22 year old engineer suffered severe burns. A rescue helicopter flew him to a specialist clinic. Another 36-year-old technician survived the whole thing unscathed.
Because of the heavy smoke, the population was in the districts of Schneppenbaum and Louisendorf were encouraged to keep their windows and doors shut. After three and a half hours, the fire was extinguished for lack of fuel and the fire service was ended. About 500 liters of oil were burned inside.
Translation from German to English using Google Translate.