subsidies, and the availability factors of most windmills?
from wind (the relative importance of the elements varies widely.), and
• Another 2 pages to explain why “availability” factors are meaningless when talking about
windmills, and why “capacity” factors are more important but still limited in value.
However, the questions are good ones because:
following groups is grossly incomplete and misleading:
• US Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
• DOE’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).
• The wind industry and its Washington-based trade association and lobbyists.
• Information distributed by the same organizations about wind turbine “availability” is
To help answer your question, this paper will identify the many elements of the full, true cost of
electricity from wind energy, including the elements of true cost that the above organizations like
to ignore. It will also explain why the “availability” of wind turbines is meaningless.
to many people around the US (as well as Europe, Australia and New Zealand) who are trying to
learn the truth about the cost of electricity from wind energy.