Articles filed under General from Ontario
The decision ...outlines that the IESO agreed to provide an extension to the project’s commercial operation date of June 17, 2021 ...The announcement stems from a letter having been sent by a group of North Stormont residents opposed to the wind farm project alleging that EDP Renewables was in breach of contract with the IESO, having passed its initial commercial operation date deadline.
JOHNSTOWN – With about five weeks to go in the estimated time it’ll take to transfer remaining turbine components from storage at Port of Johnstown to installation site in North Stormont, manufacturer Enercon has apologized in advance for any inconvenience to local motorists.
In order to oppose the continuation of the project, Mekker, along with other residents, sent a Notice of Non-Consent to the Government of Ontario’s attorney general, premier, and Yurek, outlining they did not consent to the project. A similar notice had been sent in 2019. Mekker said her opposition to the project was based on a multitude of factors, including long-term health issues she said windmills create for residents living near them. In addition, she said the cluster of wind turbines being erected exposes North Stormont residents to infrasound, low-frequency noise, vibration, and shadow flicker.
The majority of council — 4-1, voted against a motion presented by Coun. Roxane Villeneuve during a May 27 council meeting that would have labeled the township as an unwilling host of the project. Council has, twice before, approved a resolution indicating it was not willing to host a wind farm project.
Most North Stormont council members have apparently had their fill of tilting at wind turbines, rejecting a motion from Councillor Roxane Villeneuve last week calling for the township to remain opposed to the recently resurrected Nation Rise Wind Farm, as well as any other similar projects in the future.
Ontario’s auditor general says she will examine the costs associated with the cancellation of an eastern Ontario wind farm, as the opposition New Democrats call for a special investigation of a move they say could cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.
The provincial government has withdrawn the renewable energy approval authorizing the creation of the Nation Rise Wind Farm. The withdrawal of the approval means the project will come to a halt, despite the fact the wind farm is largely complete, with several wind turbines erected and ready to begin generating power. ...Environment Minister Jeff Yurek said he decided to revoke Nation Rise’s renewable energy approval out of concern for the wind farm’s impact on local bat populations.
The P.E.I. Energy Corporation wants to add seven new turbines to the 10 currently in place, which would double the electricity output of the farm. The turbines would be larger than the current ones, and that's something that worries the group. "These are going to be phenomenal in size. It's going to be probably the largest game changer in this area of Prince Edward Island," said Fred Cheverie, watershed coordinator with the group.
Nation Rise Wind Farm received its “Renewable Energy Approval” on May 4, 2018, a Friday. The following Wednesday, May 9, the election writ was dropped and on June 7, the Liberals and their Green Energy ways were gone. In July, the Ford government cancelled 758 early-stage renewable energy projects. But not Nation Rise. Described as too far along in its milestones, it went ahead and today there are service roads being built, massive concrete bases being poured and the blades and hubs are being stockpiled for installation.
Five residents who have filed the majority of 1,000-plus wind turbine operation complaints with the ministry, sat across from Yurek, who is no stranger to the controversial green energy issue. Yurek and others are named in a private prosecution filed by a Chatham-Kent woman who claims a turbine construction contaminated her well water.
wpd Canada had indicated it would seek to recoup $100 million it put into the project, but it is still not clear how much the provincial government agreed to pay. The legislation requires wpd to cover the cost of decomissioning and restoring the land. The law also bars the company from suing the government. There are four turbines erected of the nine approved for the development before the provincial government terminated the project under The White Pines Wind Project Termination Act.
CRYSLER — A North Stormont woman is concerned about potentially harmful dust clouds blown onto her property and those around her as access roads are being built for the Nation Rise Wind Farm.
Wpd Canada had worked out a deal with the Liberal government in 2009, but in early July 2018, within a month of being elected, the Progressive Conservative government announced it would be backing out of the contract. Although the White Pines Wind Project Termination Act came into effect in July 2018, on July 3, 2019, the provincial government passed a regulation that entitles wpd to receive compensation for “eligible costs.”
Senvion, the German company behind the Sumac Ridge turbine project in Kawartha Lakes, filed for insolvency just days before a Pontypool-area turbine failed on April 20. ...Financial sources had told Reuters that the Hamburg-based company needed at least 100 million euros ($112 million) in the short term to keep operating.
The Ontario Ministry of Labour has confirmed that the plant is in a “state of shutdown”, but there is still no word on whether the shutdown is temporary or permanent. The City of Windsor, which offered the company millions of dollars in incentives to set up shop in the city, is among those trying to get answers. However, city officials have not made much headway.
Hundreds of people are out of work after CS Wind, which moved to Windsor with great fanfare and $10 million in incentives, shut down its local factory. ...MacPherson said the explanation he heard for the shutdown was a lack of work after the province cancelled hundreds of renewable energy contracts.
Cancelling 758 renewable energy contracts—including Otter Creek– was one of the first moves of the newly elected Progressive Conservative party after they were elected in the spring of 2018. The project was expected to be built and commissioned by the end of 2019.
Hall says the turbines were "pretty successful," though they never supplied more than a small fraction of Yukon's power — about one megawatt. That's about one per cent of Yukon's typical power usage in winter, according to Hall.
Rob Scoffield, the managing director of QCE Canada, a wind turbine construction company claims his company is owed about $10 million for work over the last year on the project "Basically this whole thing stinks," he said in an interview. ...Algonquin Power and Pennecon had fallen behind on the project and have had cost overruns of about $90 million. It's a $400- to $450-million project now, he said.
WPD said it will seek to recoup CAD100 million (€65 million) from the Ontario authorities, but the new law may limit this claim. Worse news for the Germans is that the CETA agreement provides no protection: it is yet to be ratified by all 28 EU states.