Article

Scottishpower Reveals £1BN 'Green Power Revamp'

Plans to clean up two of the most polluting power plants in the UK were revealed by ScottishPower yesterday. The £1billion proposals involve installing new turbines and boilers to cut carbon emissions by a fifth at Longannet power station, in Fife, and Cockenzie, just outside Edinburgh. The new "supercritical" turbines and boilers would burn coal at ultra-high temperatures and pressures. A feasibility study into the project was revealed yesterday as First Minister Alex Salmond visited Longannet on his first official engagement.

Plans to clean up two of the most polluting power plants in the UK were revealed by ScottishPower yesterday.

The 1billion proposals involve installing new turbines and boilers to cut carbon emissions by a fifth at Longannet power station, in Fife, and Cockenzie, just outside Edinburgh.

The new "supercritical" turbines and boilers would burn coal at ultra-high temperatures and pressures. A feasibility study into the project was revealed yesterday as First Minister Alex Salmond visited Longannet on his first official engagement.

If a decision is taken to proceed, the turbines and boilers would effectively have to be built within the existing power stations. Construction could start in 2009 with operations beginning in 2012, extending the life of the plants which are responsible for a quarter of Scotland's electricity.

ScottishPower, now part of Spanish-based Iberdrola utility, said the power stations would also be fitted with new carbon-capture technology, being developed at Longannet where carbon emissions are pumped into deep underground coal seams to drive... more [truncated due to possible copyright]  

Plans to clean up two of the most polluting power plants in the UK were revealed by ScottishPower yesterday.

The £1billion proposals involve installing new turbines and boilers to cut carbon emissions by a fifth at Longannet power station, in Fife, and Cockenzie, just outside Edinburgh.

The new "supercritical" turbines and boilers would burn coal at ultra-high temperatures and pressures. A feasibility study into the project was revealed yesterday as First Minister Alex Salmond visited Longannet on his first official engagement.

If a decision is taken to proceed, the turbines and boilers would effectively have to be built within the existing power stations. Construction could start in 2009 with operations beginning in 2012, extending the life of the plants which are responsible for a quarter of Scotland's electricity.

ScottishPower, now part of Spanish-based Iberdrola utility, said the power stations would also be fitted with new carbon-capture technology, being developed at Longannet where carbon emissions are pumped into deep underground coal seams to drive out methane gas which can then be used as fuel.

Iberdrola chairman Ignacio Galan said: "As a world leader in renewable energy, Iberdrola is committed to developing the best environmental and technological practices.

"We are delighted that today's announcement puts ScottishPower on track to deliver a revolutionary change in low-carbon energy generation in Scotland."

Friends of the Earth Scotland welcomed the proposals for the plants it has dubbed "carbon dinosaurs".

Chief executive Duncan McLaren said: "Today's announcement is a step in the right direction.

"Coal remains a dirty and polluting fuel, and ScottishPower must ensure that emissions are cut as quickly as possible through improved technology.

"Refitting with supercritical boilers should cut emissions by about 20% but this still leaves 80% of the climate-changing pollution unaffected.

"Even after this refit, these power stations will be dirtier than gas turbines. So it is essential that ScottishPower move swiftly to install carbon capture and storage technology in addition."

Mr Salmond said a low-carbon economy was crucial, not just for Scotland but the whole planet.

"We must do this not just by exploiting our nation's renewables potential but also by deploying expertise in clean coal and indeed hydrocarbon technology," he said.

"If we can reduce carbon emissions, coal can play a vital role in giving Scotland the diversity of energy sources which is essential for security of energy supply.

"I want to see Scottish-based companies make Scotland greener and I also want to see them benefit from exporting their expertise throughout the world."



Source: http://www.thisisnorthscotl...

MAY 18 2007
https://www.windaction.org/posts/8983-scottishpower-reveals-1bn-green-power-revamp
back to top