Article

Spiggle clarifies position on mind mills and words

let me clarify your editorial assumption that I "oppose the wind farm." It would be more accurate to say that I am skeptical that the proposed project, and the several more that are sure to follow, will be good for Mineral County.

Keyser, W.Va. -After taking Mineral County Commission President Wayne Spiggle to task in our Thursday, April 23, editorial for referring to a "survey" which does not exist in regard to wind turbines, Dr. Spiggle emailed the following letter to our editorial board. In his letter, he states that he never mentioned the word "survey," and upon further investigation we found that, indeed, he had not.

And so we issue an apology to Dr. Spiggle for "reprimanding" him for the use of a word which he apparently never used.

What both Dr. Spiggle and County Planner Scott Clay have done, however, is offer - on several occasions - a "guestimation" that approximately 60 percent of Mineral County residents who have spoken with them are against the establishment of wind farms in the county, with the remaining 40 percent being pro-wind turbines.

"When I talk to people and bring up the subject of wind turbines, usually six out of 10 say they're very concerned about it," he told the News Tribune recently.

Perhaps what we should have done was to caution our elected officials about the use of arbitrarily chosen percentages.

It has also been a bit unclear as to whether Dr.... more [truncated due to possible copyright]  

Keyser, W.Va. - After taking Mineral County Commission President Wayne Spiggle to task in our Thursday, April 23, editorial for referring to a "survey" which does not exist in regard to wind turbines, Dr. Spiggle emailed the following letter to our editorial board. In his letter, he states that he never mentioned the word "survey," and upon further investigation we found that, indeed, he had not.

And so we issue an apology to Dr. Spiggle for "reprimanding" him for the use of a word which he apparently never used.

What both Dr. Spiggle and County Planner Scott Clay have done, however, is offer - on several occasions - a "guestimation" that approximately 60 percent of Mineral County residents who have spoken with them are against the establishment of wind farms in the county, with the remaining 40 percent being pro-wind turbines.

"When I talk to people and bring up the subject of wind turbines, usually six out of 10 say they're very concerned about it," he told the News Tribune recently.

Perhaps what we should have done was to caution our elected officials about the use of arbitrarily chosen percentages.

It has also been a bit unclear as to whether Dr. Spiggle was speaking for himself or the commission when he has repeatedly voiced skepticism about the benefits of wind farms.

In a recent telephone conversation with Managing Editor Liz Beavers, however, he emphasized that he wants to "make it very clear that I was speaking for myself."

We hope this has eliminated some of the confusion.

To the editor: Your editorial on Wednesday prompted me to re-read the e-mail that I sent to the Allegany County Commissioners to examine whether or not I should make a public apology for citing a "survey" that does not exist. If I had done so, your reprimand would have been justified and I would owe my fellow citizens a humble apology.

I agree with the basic premise of the editorial that public officials should at all times be honest and as accurate as possible with the statements they make. I'm sure you agree that the Editorial Page of the Mineral Daily News-Tribune should be held to the same standard.

I also reviewed Kevin Spradlin's piece in the Times-News having to do with the above referenced communication to see if he mentioned any "survey." Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither the article nor the e-mail cites a "survey."

It is true that I have been discussing the issue with constituents as we encounter each other and it is true that during those conversations that I perceive six out of ten Mineral Countians share my concerns about the issue. My statement to the Allegany commissioners acknowledged these conversations as I travel about the county.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I did not cite a "survey" nor did I imply that county residents have been polled as your editorial concludes.
Your editorial also calls for me to make it clear that I am speaking for myself. Agreed, and I have been very careful to do so in the e-mail, the interview with the Times-News and in communications I've had with Liz Beavers.

The Mineral County Commission will defer discussing the issue of wind farms in Mineral County until after we have heard from all relevant parties, unless Cindy (Pyles) and Janice (LaRue) decide differently. We will hear from the current project sponsor sometime in June, according to the present schedule. Our discussions will be in public session.

Finally, let me clarify your editorial assumption that I "oppose the wind farm." It would be more accurate to say that I am skeptical that the proposed project, and the several more that are sure to follow, will be good for Mineral County. That said, as the commissioners and their advisors discuss the issue and it becomes clear that Mineral County will have significant guaranteed, long-term economic benefits and that public safety and environmental considerations are fully accommodated, I would be hard pressed to be in opposition.

All commissioners are bound to make decisions on our best judgement about what is best for the county.


Source: http://www.newstribune.info...

APR 27 2009
https://www.windaction.org/posts/20017-spiggle-clarifies-position-on-mind-mills-and-words
back to top