Article

Fire at Engie Electrabel Energy Storage unit releases toxic gas

One of the containers of the park of batteries of electricity storage on the site of Engie with Drogenbos caught fire on Saturday morning. While the fire was contained, the incident caused a release of toxic gas into the air. The municipality of Drogenbos asked residents to keep their windows and doors closed.

BELGIUM -- The fire that started on Saturday morning on the grounds of Engie Electrabel, Drogenbos (Flemish Brabant) is under control, announce firefighters in Brussels.

"All the preventive containment measures previously requested can be lifted," they said. "The air quality measurements taken give normal results" and there is no more "risk to health or the environment".

One of the containers of the park of batteries of electricity storage on the site of Engie with Drogenbos caught fire on Saturday morning. While the fire was contained, the incident caused a release of toxic gas into the air.

The municipality of Drogenbos asked residents to keep their windows and doors closed. The measure also applied to motorists who use roads around Brussels as well as for all the municipalities of the Brussels Region. The provisions were later lifted by the firefighters.

According to Engie Electrabel, the battery complex was commissioned in October 2017. The Energy Storage Park would be able to draw electricity from the grid when too much renewable generation was produced, store the excess electricity in the batteries and then reinject it into the system when needed. Moreover, the project was a pilot aimed at providing ENGIE a clearer understanding of how batteries work and to test different energy models and gain experience in battery procurement, use and operation. The system was designed to hold up to 20 MW.


Source: http://www.dhnet.be/actu/be...

NOV 11 2017
http://www.windaction.org/posts/47526-fire-at-engie-electrabel-energy-storage-unit-releases-toxic-gas
back to top